Purpose: This test gives you a basis for making hiring decisions based on minimal levels of aptitude.
When to use it: When the intellectual demands of your jobs are not great and you simply need to weed out the people who would be most difficult to train, this test would be appropriate.
High Scorers: People scoring high on this test should be able to learn the basic skills needed to perform your jobs adequately.
Low Scorers: People scoring low on this test may be illiterate or simply lacking in intellectual talents. Low scorers are likely to be very difficult to train, thus they will need a lot of supervision. If hired, these people should probably be assigned to your simplest jobs.
Target Group: This test is suitable for a wide range of simple, manual labor jobs across different industries.
Test Content and Number of Items: (NOTE: Test content can be easily modified to better fit your particular job)
• Basic Arithmetic: 20 multiple choice items (5 each adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing)
• Word Problems: 3 items that require simple reasoning
• Ruler Reading: 3 items using a ruler in inches
• Reading a Clock Face: 3 items
• Recognizing Safety Violations: 3 situations where a picture is presented along with several possible “true/Falseâ€ safety violations.
• Reading Company Policies: 6 items where they have to read a company policy, and then make interpretations to answer multiple-choice questions.
• Tools Identification: 9 items where a picture is presented along with ten multiple choice answers. This section often needs to be modified based on the tools most often used at your company.
Time Limits: Untimed
Scoring: We can present the results in terms of percent correct for each section of the test. Alternatively, we could work with you to test a number of your workers, then build a norm to establish cutoffs for satisfactory scores vs. unsatisfactory scores.
Sample verbal reasoning item:
House is to dwelling as car is to ____________.
Sample numerical reasoning item:
Which comes next in this series? 3 6 9 19 22 25