This test is for both entry-level and experienced candidates and used to evaluate the person’s aptitude and potential for programming and analyzing business problems. This test assumes no prior experience or knowledge of data processing.
This one-hour test, from which a one-page report is provided to the client, consists of four problems that evaluate logical ability, skills in interpretation of complicated specifications and potential for translating business problems into symbolic logic. The first three problems evaluate the individual’s programming potential. They evaluate such traits as logical ability, attention to detail, basic mathematical skills, the ability to follow procedures, reason with symbols, and create a symbolic program. The last problem is designed to test the person’s analytical ability and skill in interpreting business specifications to solve problems. No personality traits are measured in this version.
Positions for which the test is appropriate:
This test is used to pre-screen job applicants and in-house personnel for their computer programming aptitudes and business analysis potentials.
The Programmer Analyst Aptitude Test measures the ability to:
• think logically
• follow procedural logic
• accurately solve problems
• reason with symbols according to stated definitions
• perform basic arithmetic calculations (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
• understand complex relationships
• follow instructions precisely
• analyze a problem not solvable by trial and error alone
• Attention to detail
• sustain concentration
• analyze data contained in charts and tables
• work under pressure
• work independently
• translate detailed specifications into symbolic logic
• handle new problems
• comprehend written material
• create procedural logic
• solve problems utilizing reasoning with symbols
• interpret business specifications
The test requires only clerical supervision to administer. Once begun, it is self-instructive for candidates, requiring 1 hour to complete.
>© Walden Copyright Holdings Inc. 1990-2008