The Reading-Arithmetic Inventory (RAI) is a paper-and-pencil inventory that measures the job applicant’s level of development in reading and/or math computation. As with any selection tool, the RAI should be used in conjunction with other pre-employment screening procedures such as interviews and reference checks.
The Reading-Arithmetic Inventory measures applicants on the following scales:
• Picture-word association
• Word decoding
• Comprehension of phrases
• Comprehension of sentences
• Comprehension of paragraphs
• Addition and subtraction of whole numbers
• Multiplication and division of whole numbers
• Basic operations involving fractions
• Basic operations involving decimals and percentages
The Reading Index, contains 60 items that test applicant’s ability to read and understand basic materials through to grade nine.
The Arithmetic Index, contains 54 items that test ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and use fractions, decimals and percentages to grade 8.
If a higher grade-level determination is required, the test is available in another version which tests to the grade 12 level. It includes 72 items on the reading scale (adding -phrases, sentences and paragraphs) and 70 on the mathematics scale (adding – square roots, powers, geometry and word problems).
The tests have been validated for accuracy against the following occupations:
• Freight car repairer
• Heavy equipment operator
• Salesperson-driver/route person
• Yard clerk
• Claims auditor
• Keypunch operator
• Maintenance mechanic
• Telephone service representative
• Warehouse/materials handler
• Yard clerk
© Owned and published by General Dynamics IT.